Brittany Spaniels are medium-sized dogs that are ideal for anyone with a countryside home. These lively and athletic dogs have a zest for life and love to participate in all family activities.
If you are looking to buy or adopt a Brittany Spaniel (or are already a proud owner of one), then it is a good idea to study everything you can about it. This will give you insights into its training and help you understand your pet better. It is also important that you plan financially for your pet.
This guide covers the different costs you can incur due to dog ownership. Let us find out exactly how much a Brittany Dog costs.
How Much Does a Brittany Dog Cost?
The average price for a purebred Brittany Dog puppy from a reputed breeder is between $700 and $1500. In the first year, you can expect to spend almost $2400 on your pet’s food, vaccinations, spaying/neutering, training, etc. After the first year, the average cost of raising a Brittany Dog comes to $1200 to $1500. Since Brittany Spaniels live for an average of 12-15 years, expect to spend almost $15,000 to $25,000 on your pet over its lifetime.
Brittany Dog Price – The Initial Costs
Brittany Spaniel Puppy Price
You need to think carefully about where you will buy or adopt your Brittany Dog from. Buying from a reputed dog breeder has its perks: most reputed breeders put in a lot of effort which helps produce healthy puppies. Naturally, they tend to charge heavily for their pups.
Expect to pay between $700 and $1500 for a purebred Brittany Spaniel puppy from a reputable breeder. Pet shops and puppy mills sell puppies for as low as $200 to $500 but these dogs are often unhealthy and some even have behavioral issues.
You can always consider adopting a Brittany Spaniel. Most shelters charge a small fee of $300 to $600 for rescued dogs. The perks of adopting are that you might get a housetrained dog and some shelters also cover microchipping, initial vaccinations, deworming, and spaying/neutering of the dog.
Equipment and Supplies
There are several items you need to buy for your Brittany puppy to make it feel more comfortable in your home. Some of these will also aid you during potty training your puppy.
- Dog pee pads and poop bags – $10 to $50
- Crate, crate liner, and bed – $100 to $500 (depending on the quality).
- Food and water bowls – between $20 and $40
- Leash, tags, collars, and harness – $20 and $50
- Basic grooming kit – $20 to $55
- Outdoor toys like balls, discs, and rope toys – $10 to $45
- Chews and teething toys – $10-$30
Brittany Dog Medical Costs
According to a survey conducted by American Pet Products, most American pet owners spend between $800 and $1200 per year on medical bills alone for medium-sized dogs like Brittany Dogs.
This is just a rough estimate and these costs will vary widely based on the city you live in and also your pet’s overall health. In general, expect to pay some of the following medical costs over your pet’s lifetime:
- Flea, tick, and heartworm prevention – $140-$185 per year
- Microchipping – $25
- Neutering/spaying – $100 to $500
- Dental cleaning – $300-$500
- Routine vet check-up – $40-$120 per visit
- Vaccinations – $60-$100 per visit. DHPP core vaccine costs between $60-$100 per shot. Other vaccines like Lyme and Rabies cost between $20-$45 each.
- Allergy tests – $200-$300
- Ear infection treatment – $150
- Diarrhea – $200 to $350
- Cancer treatment – average $4000
- Diabetes treatment – $2800
- Fractures – $2300
As can be seen, medical bills over your Brittany Dog’s lifetime can be very high. To help cover some of these costs, you can opt to buy pet insurance. Most pet owners pay between $30 and $50 a month for insuring their dogs. The annual cost of pet insurance comes to $360 and $600.
Dog Training Costs
A well-trained Brittany Dog will bring you much joy and pride. Here are the different types of dog training and their associated costs:
- The average cost of group training for a puppy is between $30 and $80. This will vary based on your location, your dog’s age, as well as the type of training.
- Private dog training costs more. Most dog trainers charge between $45 and $120 per session per hour.
- Puppy obedience training – most trainers charge between $30 and $80 per session and your Brittany puppy will learn good manners and also socialize with other dogs. For older dogs, the price increases slightly – up to $50 to $120 per hour.
- Aggressive behavior training – costs $120 per hour
You can always save money by opting to train your Brittany Dog at home using online training tips and videos.
Expenses on Dog Food and Treats
Most dog owners spend an average of $500 to $2000 per year on dog food and dog treats for medium-sized dogs like Brittany Spaniels. These prices are rough estimates – they can vary based on your pet’s age, activity levels, overall health, and also the type and brand of dog food you choose to feed.
Pricier foods usually contain higher-quality ingredients. It is best not to try to save money on dog food as doing so could lead to higher vet bills which you certainly don’t want. Here are some price estimates for dog food in the USA:
- 1 lb. of freeze-dried dog food costs an average of $20. At this price range, expect to pay between $100 and $200 a month to feed your pet.
- 1 lb. of simple dry dog food or kibble costs $2.25 on average. At this range, expect to pay between $30 and $50 a month to feed your Brittany.
- Canned or wet food costs between $1.50 and $3.00 for a 12-13 oz. can, which can lead to an expense of $150 to $300 per month.
- Dog treats cost between $10 and $50 a month. You can always save money by making your own dog treats.
Other Costs of Owning a Brittany Dog
Here are some other costs you could incur when owning a Brittany:
- Dog walking – Exercise is very important for Brittany Spaniel’s mental and physical well-being. If you are too busy to walk your pet, you might need a professional dog walker. Most charge between $10 and $30 for a short walk. These costs can add up quickly so, to save money, you might want to make some time to walk your pet.
- Travel/boarding costs – If you travel with your dog, the airfares could range between $125 to $500 for a round trip depending on the distance. You can always consider boarding your dog at the pet hostel. Most charge between $30 and $65 a night. If you hire a pet sitter, expect to pay $75 per day (or drop-in charges of an average of $30 per hour).
- Grooming – You can always opt to groom your Brittany Dog at home. However, if you choose professional grooming once in a while, expect to spend $30-$45 per session.
Summary – Brittany Dog Price
Having a pet has many joyful benefits but a dog like Brittany Spaniel tends to cost quite a lot. Take a moment to ask yourself if you can commit financially to keeping this dog breed.
Here is a summary of costs to consider:
Adopting a Brittany Dog can cost an average of $300-$600. Buying a purebred Brittany puppy from a reputed breeder can set you back by $700 to $1500.
In your dog’s first year, you could spend almost $2400 on dog food, vaccinations, spaying/neutering, training, etc. After the first year, the average cost of raising a Brittany Spaniel can come to $1200 to $1500. Since Brittany Spaniels live for an average of 12-15 years, expect to spend almost $15,000 to $25,000 on your pet over its lifetime.