The English Bulldog is a companion dog that measures around 12-15 inches at the shoulders and weighs between 50 and 54 lb. Are you looking to add an English Bulldog to your household? Want to know how much it costs to buy one? Do you also want a monthly and annual budget for raising this pet?
The exact price of an English Bulldog can be difficult to estimate as there are many factors you need to take into account for budgeting. Our team has analyzed hundreds of websites and English Bulldog puppy prices so you can plan financially for your pet.
How Much Does an English Bulldog Cost in The US?
Based on the data we have collected and analyzed, the national average English Bulldog puppy price is $2742.
We found the minimum cost of an English Bulldog puppy (from a reputed breeder) to be $1495 while the maximum cost was $4900.
The first-year cost of raising an English Bulldog came to around $3670.
After the first year, you can expect to spend around $1835 on your pet.
The lifetime cost of owning an English Bulldog can come to $18,352.
See the below links to the different types of bulldogs we collected data on:
- English Bulldog Puppy Price
- Olde English Bulldogge Puppy Price
- Victorian Bulldog Puppy Price
- Miniature Bulldog Puppy Price
- EngAm Bulldog Puppy Price In USA
- Catahoula Bulldog Puppy Price
- American Bulldog Puppy Price
English Bulldog Initial Costs
The initial costs of a dog include the puppy price and the costs spent on basic equipment.
English Bulldog Puppy Price in USA
- We analyzed over a thousand ads to find the English Bulldog puppy prices. Data collected from almost 86 ads showed that the average English Bulldog puppy price came to $2742.
- The minimum price of an English Bulldog puppy we found was $1495 while the maximum was $4900.
- Adoption prices are significantly lower – most shelters charged a small fee of $300 to $500 for rehoming English Bulldogs.
Factors affecting the English Bulldog puppy price are whether it is a purebred/mixed breed, the breeder’s reputation, the puppy’s bloodlines, age, coat colors, training and socialization, health checks done by the breeder, registration and AKC papers, etc.
English Bulldog Cost of Basic Equipment
A few items are necessary to make your Bully feel more comfortable in your home.
- Bowls – each bowl costs between $5 and $30
- Leash, collar, harness – $20 to $40
- Bed and crate – $50 to $500 – you need a bed measuring between 36-42 inches. English bulldogs will need a crate measuring at least 42 (L) x 36 (W) inches.
- Grooming tools (shampoo, toothbrush and paste, wrinkle cream, wipes, brush, comb, nail trimmer, etc.) – $30 to $80
- Cleaning supplies (pet urine cleaner, pee pads, etc.) $15 to $30
- Dental chews – $10-$25
- Toys for outdoor play – $10-$20
You will spend more on basic supplies in your pet’s first year. In subsequent years, you can expect to spend between $70-$140 on the above items.
Medical Costs for English Bulldogs
Flat-nosed dogs like English Bulldogs often need special surgeries to correct issues such as stenotic nares and soft palate. On their own, the procedures cost $350 for stenotic nares and $850 for soft palate resectioning. Some vets offer budget packages up to $1100 for both these surgeries. Here are some other veterinary costs you could incur:
- Vaccinations – first-year vaccines cost more – usually between $55 to $120.
- Spay or neuter surgeries – Spaying is more expensive and costs around $500. Neutering costs around $100.
- Microchipping – $42
- Deworming – $25 for 3 months. Heartworm prevention is between $35 and $60
- Ear mite diagnosis and treatment – $25 to $100
- Declaw surgery – $60 per claw
- Cherry eye procedure – $150 per eye
- Entropion – $300 per eye
Bulldogs are prone to eye issues like Cherry eye and entropion. They also develop skin infections due to their heavy skin folds. Bullies are also known to suffer from brachycephalic airway syndrome which can cause issues like wheezing, breathing problems, etc.
Pet insurance can cover some of these costs. Most pet insurance plans have a monthly premium of $40-$75 bringing the annual expense to over $500.
Dog Training Costs for English Bulldogs
English Bulldogs need a professional trainer to teach them basic obedience. You can hire a private dog trainer to train your Bully in the comfort of your home. Alternatively, you could take your pet to classes conducted by places like PetCo and PetSmart. There is also a board-and-train option available.
Based on the type of dog training you choose, you could spend anywhere between $900 and $2000 on your pet’s training. The average cost of training an English Bulldog in the USA is $1050.
English Bulldog Food Costs
An English Bulldog needs approximately 35 lb. of food per month. Based on this, you could spend the following:
- An inexpensive bag of dog food costs $1.75 per lb. This can bring your monthly dog food cost to $62.
- Medium-range dog food costs $3 per lb. bringing the monthly cost to $105.
- Premium dog food costs $4.8 per lb. which can bring your monthly dog food cost to $170.
It is recommended that you only feed a premium range of dog food to keep your Bulldog thriving. This can bring your annual cost to $2000 on dog food alone.
Miscellaneous Costs of English Bulldog Ownership
In addition to dog food, training, medical costs, and initial costs, here are some more expenses to factor into your budget:
- Grooming – Bulldogs are easy to groom but you need to be proactive in cleaning their skin folds and wrinkles. Do invest in special Bulldog balms and creams to keep their skin free from bacteria and other microbes. Professional grooming can also help keep your Bulldog squeaky clean. Expect to pay between $30-$80 per session for basic grooming like bath, brushing, anal gland expression, nail trimming, etc.
- Travel or Pet Boarding – Dog hostels charge between $30 to $60 a night so if you travel for 5 days, you’d spend almost $300. Pet travel by air can cost between $125 and $250 one way with separate charges for layovers.
- Dog Walker – Bulldogs are prone to obesity – so they need daily walks. A dog walker could charge $10-$30 for a single walk of 30 minutes. This brings the daily expense to $20 to $60 and the monthly expense to more than $600.
Summary – How Much Does an English Bulldog Cost?
Let us sum up the various costs of owning an English Bulldog:
The national average cost of a purebred English Bulldog puppy from a top breeder is about $2700. The first-year cost of owning one could come to $3500 and after that to almost $1800 per year. If you choose to feed your pet premium food, then the cost of feeding alone can go over $1500 a year. This can bring your annual costs to over $2500.
Since English Bulldogs live for 8-10 years, you might spend almost $18,000-$25,000 over your pet’s lifetime.