How much does ingested gum treatment in dogs cost?


Posted

in

by

Does your dog have a habit of stealing things from the table when you are not looking? And it managed to get its paws on your bubble gum. So should you worry about what might happen and how much you may end up paying for the treatment?

What makes bubble gum dangerous for the dog?

Sugar-free bubble gum is a good treat and refresher for our mouth. It is also good exercise for the jaw and some people even say that chewing gum helps them concentrate. Many times owners notice their dog watching them chew and wonder if they can share it because it can be fun to see how your dog chews. This is not a good idea and it can actually cause serious problems for your k-9.

Chewing Gum contains xylitol, which is a low-calorie supplement used instead of sugar. It can also be found in candy, sugar-free baked cookies, or peanut butter. Chewing the bubble gum itself is not a danger, but the ingestion of xylitol can put your dog’s life at risk in a very short time after ingestion. 

It doesn’t take a lot of bubble gum for signs to start showing. One bubble gum could cause serious problems in small breeds of dogs. Xylitol could lead to a lowering of blood sugar in dogs as a result of the massive release of insulin in the bloodstream, and it can also damage the liver.

What are the symptoms of poisoning with bubble gum containing xylitol in dogs?

The onset of symptoms in dogs is relatively fast. Owners tend to notice that something is wrong with their dog just after half an hour of ingesting bubble gum. This is a serious emergency that requires immediate veterinary attention which is why you should rush your dog to the vet because xylitol could cause severe consequences such as coma and death.

The seriousness of the condition is a result of the fast lowering of the blood sugar in the dog, a situation known as hypoglycemia. Xylitol also affects the liver and can cause severe liver damage. 

The most common symptoms that dog owners may notice are:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • lethargy
  • depression
  • tremors

How is xylitol poisoning in dogs diagnosed?

Once the owner calls the vet and explains the symptoms, he will most likely be asked to bring the dog for examination and diagnostics. Vets usually ask a series of questions that help them to narrow down the possibility that leads to this situation. It is always wise to bring the wrap or packaging from the bubble gum that your dog ingested.

While the vet is doing diagnostics they will also start treatment. The diagnostics usually help them determine the sugar levels in the blood which is something to be expected when the dog has ingested bubble gum. Vets also will check to see the liver enzymes, which helps them determine the extent of damage to the liver. 

Treatment usually is lots of fluids as well as sugar but not a regular one, in order for the levels to be returned to normal as soon as possible ( vets usually use dextrose). Symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea are also treated with drugs that prevent them. If your dog is not vomiting the vets might suggest inducing it so that further resorption of xylitol is prevented. 

What is the prognosis after bubble gum poisoning?

Dogs that have been brought to the vet on time usually go on to make full recovery. However, if the owner does not notice the symptoms on time, it can be too late. That is why the best suggestion vets will tell you is to try and remove everything that can be within reach of your dog’s paws. This is especially important if you as an owner know that your dog counter-surfs. 

If this is an emergency, you should expect to pay a price even up to a couple of thousands of dollars. The average cost should be around $500.


Dog Pricing Avatar

About the Author