The Maltipoo is a hybrid dog breed obtained by crossing a Maltese with a Mini or Toy Poodle. Maltipoo dogs are not only intelligent and highly trainable but also make ideal pets for allergy sufferers due to their hypoallergenic coats.
Are you looking to add a Maltipoo to your household? Want to know how much a Maltipoo puppy costs? We have analyzed thousands of websites for Maltipoo puppy prices and also estimated other costs like veterinary costs, food costs, etc. that most Maltipoo owners are likely to incur.
Maltipoo Price – How Much Does a Maltipoo Cost?
According to our records where we analyzed more than 160 websites for Maltipoo prices, here are some costs you can expect:
- The average cost of a Maltipoo puppy from a top breeder is $1234 based on 161 online ads that we have analyzed. You can read more here about our analysis.
- The minimum price of a Maltipoo is $400 and the maximum price is $2100. This price depends on the breeder’s reputation, the puppy’s lineage, and even its coat color.
- Most Maltipoo owners spend an average of $1800-$2000 on their dogs in the first year alone.
- The average annual cost of caring for a Maltipoo puppy is approximately $943 but this can vary greatly based on your lifestyle.
- This brings the lifetime cost of owning a Maltipoo to $10,845 (since most live for 10-12 years).
Initial Price – Cost of Owning a Maltipoo
Cost of Maltipoo Puppies in the USA
If you buy a Maltipoo puppy from a reputed breeder in the USA, then you can expect its cost to be between $400 and $2100. Some puppies born to champion Poodles and Maltipoos cost even more – up to $4000!
You can always adopt a Maltipoo for $300-$600. Shelters often cover the puppy’s spaying/neutering and initial vaccinations as well. However, finding a rare breed like Maltipoo in rescue homes could be difficult.
Cost of Basic Supplies and Equipment
These are one-time expenses such as the ones on toys, beds, crates, etc. for your Maltipoo puppy.
- Food and water bowls – $10-$20
- Dental/chew toys and play toys like balls, etc. – $10-$30
- Comfortable bed – $40-$100
- Crate – $50-$200
- Baby gates – $10-$30
- Grooming supplies – $20-$50
Maltipoo Medical Costs
Your little dog’s well-being must be your top priority. This not only includes food and exercise but also preventative care like medicines, vaccinations, and supplements. On average, most pet owners spend $500-$600 on medical costs per year for small dogs like Maltipoos. Here are some approximate medical costs to consider:
- Spaying or neutering – $100-$400 usually spaying is more expensive. Thankfully, this is a one-time expense
- Vaccinations – Most vaccinations cost $50 per year
- Microchipping – $25
- Routine vet checks – $25-$80 per visit
- Dental care – these small dogs tend to have dental issues which is why dental cleaning is important. Expect to spend between $50 and $100 per year on professional dental care.
- Blood test – most cost between $50-$100
- Flea tick prevention – $50 for three months
- Deworming – $8-$15 per dose for small dogs
- Major surgery or hospitalization – $1000 or more
Maltipoos are generally healthy dogs. However, some tend to develop the same health issues seen in the parent dog breeds (Poodle and Maltese). These include PRA, hypoglycemia, Shaker Syndrome, and Epilepsy. These issues can cost thousands of dollars per year to manage. Some like PRA have no cure.
This is where pet insurance could help. Pet insurance plans often cover routine checkups, preventive care, supplements, etc. Some even cover accidents, illnesses, and emergencies depending on the plan you choose. Most Maltipoo owners spend $20-$40 per month for insuring their puppy.
Dog Food Costs for Maltipoos
Maltipoos are small dogs measuring between 8-14 inches and weighing about 13 lb. For dogs this size, you should feed no more than 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups of dry dog food per day. You will need approximately 9 to 10 lbs of dry dog food per month. Here are the approximate dog food costs
- The cheapest bag of dry dog food costs $1.75 per lb. This brings monthly costs to $16.
- Medium-range dog food costs $3 per lb., so, this brings monthly costs to around $29 on dog food.
- High-end or premium food costs $5 per lb. So, you might spend $45 to $50 per month and annually around $600 on dog food alone.
- If your Maltipoo needs special food or a prescription diet, then that could cost almost $800 a year to feed.
Other Costs of Maltipoo Ownership
Maltipoos need daily brushing and once-a-month baths. You can choose to take your pet to a professional groomer for bathing and nail trimming. This can cost $30-$50 per visit or almost $300 a year if you opt for monthly grooming.
Dog training is vital for all dogs no matter the dog’s size. Group training costs between $10-$50 per class while private training can cost between $45 to $200 per class. Board-and-train can cost almost $500-$1250 per week.
Travel/Pet Boarding/Pet Sitters
Weekly boarding rates for small puppies are $150, monthly rates are $500, and most pet hostels charge a nightly/daily rate between $40-$60 for small dogs. Traveling with a Maltipoo can cost $125 one way with separate fees for layovers. Pet Sitters charge $25 for a 30-minute visit or $30 to $40 per day depending on the location.
Do Walker Charges
Dog walkers charge an average of $20 per 30-minute walk. If you are too busy to walk or exercise your Maltipoo, you could spend almost $400 a month on a dog walker if you enlist one for 5 times each week (once a day).
Summary – How Much Does a Maltipoo Cost in 2022
We hope this Maltipoo cost guide helps you estimate a budget for owning a Maltipoo. Here is a quick recap of all the costs:
The average cost of a Maltipoo puppy from a top breeder is $1234 with a minimum price of a Maltipoo puppy being $400 and the maximum being $2100. The first-year cost of owning this dog breed is approximately $1800 (spent on food, medical costs, basic supplies, etc.) After the first year, the cost of owning a Maltipoo comes to $943 a year. Since the lifespan of Maltipoos is approximately 10-12 years, you’d spend $10,845 over its lifetime.