The Rottweiler is a working dog breed known for its intelligence and strength. Due to this, they are widely used as rescue dogs or guard dogs and are the perfect protector for your house. They also require less grooming and maintenance and are quite easy to train.
Are you looking to add a Rottweiler to your household? We’ve got you covered!
After analyzing over 160 advertisements for Rottweiler puppy prices we’ve put together a detailed price guide explaining the cost that most Rottweiler owners are likely to incur.
Rottweiler Price – How Much Does a Rottweiler Cost?
- According to the data we have compiled after reviewing 166 ads, the average cost of a Rottweiler puppy from a reputed breeder is around $1,180.
- The minimum price of a Rottweiler puppy is $575 and the maximum is around $3,500.
- The cost of raising a Rottweiler in the first year lies between the range of $2,600 and $6,800.
- The average annual expense of owning a Rottweiler after the first year is around $3,550, but this may vary greatly.
- Rottweilers live up to 10-12 years, this means that the lifetime cost of owning a Rottweiler is around $33,734.
Also, check out other Rottweiler price guide below:
Initial Costs of Owning a Rottweiler
Buying a Rottweiler puppy from a reputed breeder could cost you anywhere between $575 and $3,500 depending on the gender and genetics of the pup. Puppies born to champion parents could cost more than $3,500.
Adopting a Rottweiler puppy may be a little cheaper. Most shelters charge around $300-$600 as adoption fees and may cover the puppy’s initial vaccinations and neutering.
However, you may have to spend more money on training the pup to make it more social and friendly. Adopted pups could also carry diseases if they haven’t been raised in hygienic conditions, so make sure you adopt them only from shelters that adhere to health protocols.
Basic Supplies and Equipment
- Food and water bowl: $10-$20 each
- Toys: Chew toys and play toys generally cost $5-$30 per toy.
- Dog Bed(optional but recommended) will cost around $50-$100
- Crate (optional but recommended) $100-$450
- Dog leash/collar: $10-$30
- Body harness: $25-$45
Overall the cost for dog equipment should lie between $210-$675 or around $440 on average. Eliminating the optional costs, you could spend around $60-$130 or an average of around $95.
Rottweiler Medical Costs
Rottweilers are susceptible to many diseases and ailments. Some of them include bloat, heart disease, skin diseases, etc.
This is why your Rottweiler’s medical health should be your top priority. Make sure to provide your dog with a healthy diet and not overfeed it. Also, provide it with sufficient exercise since this breed tends to put on weight quickly.
On average, Rottweiler owners have to spend around $600 annually on medical expenses such as tick and flea prevention, vaccinations, health checkups, dental care, etc. Here’s a detailed breakdown of your medical costs:
- Spaying or neutering will cost anywhere between $100-$500 depending on your veterinarian and your pet’s gender.
- Vaccinations will cost you $75-$100 per year. Usually, vaccination costs are higher for puppies as compared to adults.
- Microchipping will cost around $25.
- Routine checkups: around $25-$90 per visit.
- Dental care: It is recommended to have your dog’s teeth cleaned professionally at least once per month. Each dental visit will cost anywhere between $100-$300.
- Blood tests mostly cost $50-$100 per test.
- Tick and flea prevention will cost around $200 annually.
- Deworming will cost $15-$20 per dose.
- Injury/ Major Surgery: Over $1000 depending on the severity of the incident.
- Pet insurance: Around $30-$60 per month or $360-$800 a year.
Cost of Dog Food for Rottweiler
Rottweilers are medium-sized dogs standing at around 22-27 inches measured from feet to the shoulder. The adults, on average, weigh 108 pounds. For a dog this size, you should feed 4-6 cups of kibble per day. Males generally need a little more food than females. Since adult Rottweilers are to be fed 2 times a day, this amounts to 120-180 cups of kibble per month (or around 82 pounds of dog food per month).
- The cheapest dog food will cost you around $143 per month (around $1.75 per pound)
- Mid-range dog food will cost around $246 per month (around $3 per pound)
- Premium grade dry dog food will cost around $516 per month (around $6.3 per pound)
Depending on the quality of dog food you buy, your dog food costs could lie between $1,716-$6,192 per year, or an average of $3,954 per year.
Other Costs of Owning a Rottweiler
Rottweilers don’t need very intensive grooming care, but you should occasionally bathe them at least once a week as a puppy and twice a month as an adult. Professional bathing and grooming sessions will cost around $50 per session.
Rottweilers are very trainable and intelligent dogs and it is very important to train them to control their aggression and to make them people-friendly. Training costs are over $2,000 per dog and generally include 6-week-long obedience training programs.
Pet sitting/dog boarding costs
Dog boarding costs are around $40-$60 per day depending on your location. Pet sitters charge even more than this (around $60 a day on average)
Traveling with a Rottweiler by flight can cost $130 to $500 with separate layover fees.
As mentioned before, Rottweilers require a lot of exercises daily. It is recommended that they get at least 1-2 hours of exercise per day. Dog walkers charge $30-$50 per hour, so you may have to pay $60-$100 daily. This brings your dog walking expenses to more than $1000 a month on average.
Summary: Rottweiler Price 2022
The average purchase costs are $1,180 for a Rottweiler puppy from a reputed breeder. The first-year costs come to $2,600-$6,800 including the basic equipment, training, and medical expenses. The dog food costs are, on average, over $4000 a year (for high-quality dog food). Other annual expenses after the first year (medical, insurance, travel/ boarding, dog food, dog walker) can come to around $3000 to $5,000. This brings your lifetime cost of owning a Rottie over $33,734.